Because, Racecar

Convert Silverado DBW Pedal to DBC

By June 8, 2018 September 26th, 2019 No Comments

As a continuation from building a throttle cable bracket.. It was time to install a compatible throttle pedal assembly.

The factory throttle pedal was designed for DBW(Drive by wire), and had no provisions for mounting or attaching a throttle cable. It was strictly intended to be used electronically.

I had planned on using the Holley EFI to utilize DBW.. but- I did not want to spend 1,000$ extra on the dominator vs hp efi just for this feature. I did also visit a junkyard to acquire a factory DBC pedal assembly- but, discovered the assembly would require disassembling most of the dash to remove from the Junkyard vehicle. So- I decided to modify my factory pedal to suit my needs!

Here is my factory drive by wire pedal assembly.
I started by removing a lot of the “Extra” material which was not required for my purposes.
To remove the DBW sensor- I used a hammer. My other efforts of removing the sensor were not successful. The hammer was extremely successful.
While I was at the Junkyard- I did acquire a DBC pedal from a random car. Ignore the piece of metal hanging off my pedal.
After removal of the DBW sensor, a large hold was left. I used a piece of 16ga steel to fill in the empty space. Also note- I cut the “stop” off, and adjusted its position and angle to allow more pedal travel.
From the factory, there was a flat location on the firewall, which I assume was intended for DBC. I drilled a hole, and installed my new lokar throttle cable.
Another view.
Preparing to cut and weld.

The next day…. (Ran out of daylight)

I cut apart the junkyard pedal into the components required. I beveled the edges before welding to ensure good penetration.
After welding
I had to mount the gas pedal many times and make adjustments before I was able to get the angles perfected.
After many attempts- I was able to get everything lined up properly, with the correct amount of travel.
Here is my finished assembly after welding, grinding, and painting. Notice a spring was also added to return the pedal to an upright position.
Mounted and completed. The truck now has a functional gas pedal.

Share this content
%d bloggers like this: