Attempting to repair broken cast aluminum bracket

Eric

Owner
Staff member
Tonight's project was to repair my broken alternator bracket.

One of the bolt holes was complelty busted.
20180530_193022.jpg


I had a spare sitting around, so, this was a 20 minute job.

The engine bay looks so much nicer without the extra bracket, alternator, and ps pump.

20180530_193031.jpg


Done.

I didn't take a picture of the finished project.

But, since I have a tig, I did want to attempt and repair the old part.

First, I put a bolt in, and starting filling all aroind it, careful to heat the aluminum and not the steel.

20180530_211014.jpg



After I had enough material, I grinded the excess down.

20180530_211550.jpg

20180530_211601.jpg



Successful repair in my book. It threads, and it holds tight.
 

Attachments

Eric

Owner
Staff member
In hindsight- it would have been 100x better to fully weld in the affected area, and to re-drill and re-tap the holes.

But, the repair has held up quite well.
 
Top