Skip to main content

Splunk – 8.0 Upgrade – SplunkWeb Not Running

By October 22, 2019January 7th, 2023No Comments


Since Splunk version 8.0 was dropped earlier today, I decided to upgrade my DEV environment to start playing with the latest additions and changes.

Links and References

Splunk 8.0.0 Release Notes

Before Upgrading – Notes

The problem

However- after running the upgrade, I quickly ran into this issue, found in web_service.log, preventing SplunkWeb from starting properly.


2019-10-22 10:45:25,928 INFO    [5daf2415ae7f3323106710] __init__:174 - Using default logging config file: /opt/splunk/etc/log.cfg
2019-10-22 10:45:25,935 INFO    [5daf2415ae7f3323106710] __init__:212 - Setting logger=splunk level=INFO
2019-10-22 10:45:25,935 INFO    [5daf2415ae7f3323106710] __init__:212 - Setting logger=splunk.appserver level=INFO
2019-10-22 10:45:25,935 INFO    [5daf2415ae7f3323106710] __init__:212 - Setting logger=splunk.appserver.controllers level=INFO
2019-10-22 10:45:25,935 INFO    [5daf2415ae7f3323106710] __init__:212 - Setting logger=splunk.appserver.controllers.proxy level=INFO
2019-10-22 10:45:25,935 INFO    [5daf2415ae7f3323106710] __init__:212 - Setting logger=splunk.appserver.lib level=WARN
2019-10-22 10:45:25,935 INFO    [5daf2415ae7f3323106710] __init__:212 - Setting logger=splunk.pdfgen level=INFO
2019-10-22 10:45:25,935 INFO    [5daf2415ae7f3323106710] __init__:212 - Setting logger=splunk.archiver_restoration level=INFO
2019-10-22 10:45:26,259 ERROR   [5daf2415ae7f3323106710] root:769 - Unable to start splunkweb
2019-10-22 10:45:26,259 ERROR   [5daf2415ae7f3323106710] root:770 - No module named 'UserDict'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/splunk/appserver/mrsparkle/", line 132, in <module>
    from import TopController
  File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/splunk/appserver/mrsparkle/controllers/", line 27, in <module>
    from splunk.appserver.mrsparkle.controllers.admin import AdminController
  File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/splunk/appserver/mrsparkle/controllers/", line 25, in <module>
    from splunk.appserver.mrsparkle.controllers.appinstall import AppInstallController
  File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/splunk/appserver/mrsparkle/controllers/", line 22, in <module>
    from splunk.appserver.mrsparkle.lib import module
  File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/splunk/appserver/mrsparkle/lib/", line 465, in <module>
    moduleMapper = ModuleMapper()
  File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/splunk/appserver/mrsparkle/lib/", line 83, in __init__
    self.installedModules = self.getInstalledModules()
  File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/splunk/appserver/mrsparkle/lib/", line 28, in helper
    return f(*a, **kw)
  File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/splunk/appserver/mrsparkle/lib/", line 448, in getInstalledModules
    mods = self.getModuleList(root)
  File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/splunk/appserver/mrsparkle/lib/", line 37, in helper
    return f(*a, **kw)
  File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/splunk/appserver/mrsparkle/lib/", line 223, in getModuleList
    mod = __import__(modname)
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/search_activity/appserver/modules/D3DynamicTree/", line 5, in <module>
    import UserDict
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'UserDict'

So, the first troubleshooting step I will perform- is to reinstall the .rpm, just in case.

sudo rpm --reinstall ~/splunk-8.0.0-1357bef0a7f6-linux-2.6-x86_64.rpm
splunk start
splunk status

Of course- that did not resolve the issue. The biggest issue which stands out in the logs, is “ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘UserDict'”

So- since I see references to the search_activity app, I removed the app and restarted Splunk.

Voila, Problem resolved. Perhaps somebody will find some use in this article.

Update- the search_activity app was updated for Splunk 8.0